Celebrating170 years in business 1844 to 2014 John Norton & Son was established 170 years ago as plumbers and suppliers of lead, sanitary and bar fittings. Our earliest work records date from 3rd March 1844, although the company probably traded before this date, carrying out plumbing and lead work for the breweries and private residences in Sheffield.
In 1855 Nortons began carrying out work for the Consumer Gas Light Company, later to become the Sheffield gas company, installing gas light meters.
From these early beginnings, Nortons became a major retailer and installer in Sheffield of bathroom and sanitary fittings, kitchen furniture and appliances, heating, boilers and fires. We opened in 1925, Sheffield’s first retail showroom in their premises on Church Street.
We became a major supplier and installer of cast iron open fire ranges with side ovens, stoves, open fires and fireplaces. The 1930’s saw Norton’s introduce the AGA cooker and later in 1946 the Rayburn cooker, to Sheffield.
John Norton & Son continues to be an range cookers and multi-fuel stoves dealer with our own dedicated service and installation engineers.